Frequently Asked Questions

If I want to participate in the Dual Enrollment/Early College program for more than one semester, do I have to reapply every semester?

No. Once you have been admitted into the Dual Enrollment/Early College Program, you can participate every semester until your high school graduation.

Can I apply online?

No. Dual Enrollment/Early college applications should be mailed, faxed or hand delivered to:

Academic Outreach Office
Sneden Hall, 101

Applications should be mailed to:
Academic Outreach
143 Bostwick Avenue NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Or Faxed to:
(616) 234-2250

Which tests or assessments are approved by the state of Michigan and what are the minimum qualifying scores?

The following tests are approved by the State of Michigan to qualify dual enrollment students: PSAT, PLAN, ACT, MME, EXPLORE, SAT and COMPASS.

The minimum qualifying scores are guidelines:


Reading: 1108

Writing: 1100

Mathematics: 1116

Science: 1126

Social Studies: 1129


Critical Thinking (Reading Content): 42

Writing Skills (Writing Content): 41

Mathematics: 44


Mathematics: 19

Reading: 15

Science: 20

English: 15


Reading: 15

Mathematics: 17

Science: 20

English: 13


Mathematics: 22

Reading: 21

Science: 24

English: 18


Critical Reading: 500

Writing: 500

Mathematics: 500


Reading: 88

English: 77

Mathematics: 52

How is tuition paid?

Most public schools pay for their students to attend
GRCC through the Dual Enrollment Program. However, any tuition and fees not covered by the high school are the responsibility of the student/family.  For non-public students, the State of Michigan determines what dollar amount it will pay per course.  Any tuition and fees not covered by the State of Michigan are the responsibility of the student/family.  Homeschool students are expected to pay their own tuition and fees.

Tuition rates (in district and out of district) are based on the permanent residence of the student. 

If tuition is not paid by the tuition due date, the student will be dropped from their classes, making those classes available to other students.

How many classes can I take?

All Dual Enrollment/Early College students are limited to taking two classes per semester. Labs are not counted as a separate class.

How will I know what classes to take?

It is your high school counselor's responsibility to discuss course options with you.  If you are a home schooled student, your parent/guardian will act as the high school counselor. If you would like to meet with a college advisor please contact the Academic Outreach Office at (616) 234-3007.

Students are encouraged to enroll in classes without prerequisites.  If you believe you have met a course prerequisite, you must go through the process of requesting a  Prerequisite Waiver by submitting on online form.  For course descriptions, please see our Course Catalog.

Can I take online courses?

Dual Enrollment students are not restricted from taking online courses. Students are still limited to two courses per semester.

How do I get college credit for taking AP courses at my high school?

Students must take the College Board AP exam and receive a satisfactory score to use a high school AP course as a prerequisite.  Copies of scores will not be accepted.  The scores must be sent to GRCC directly from the College Board at the student's request. Additionally, the student will need to complete the Prerequisite Waiver process as discussed in the section above. The GRCC College Board Code is #1254.

What steps do I take to attend GRCC after high school graduation?

You must complete a degree-seeking application - an additional application fee is not required. The application is available online, at your high school or at the  Enrollment Center.

Can I take any class offered?

No. Dual Enrollment/Early College students are restricted from taking some classes.

If you have any further questions or would like additional assistance, please contact the Academic Outreach Office at (616) 234-3007 or email