Preparation For Transfer

Students studying

College Research Center

The research center is a self-serve center for transfer college information located in the Counseling and Career Center. The College Research Center contains college catalogs of all four-year Michigan colleges as well as many catalogs of two-year Michigan colleges.

In addition, the Center also has college applications for Michigan colleges as well as viewbooks for many colleges and universities. Transfer applications are also available.

No appointment is required to use the College Research Center. Students are encouraged to use these resources as they make their transition from GRCC to their next educational goal.

Getting Ready to Transfer

Steps for Preparing for the Transfer Process

When applying to a baccalaureate (4-year) institution, you should apply at least a year in advance. Use the guide to help you plan the application process and follow this list of steps as you complete the process. Be aware this is only a guide and some schools may recommend applying sooner. Also, competitive programs may have an earlier application deadline.

Semester Apply By Registration Begins
Fall Early January Early March
Winter September Early October
Summer December Early/Mid February

Freshman Year 0-24 credits

Students enter GRCC

Start with Academic Foundations Placement (if needed) for English, Math and/or Reading.

Complete General Education (MTA) courses and prerequisites for your major.

Not all majors are available at all schools. For assistance in selecting a major, visit the Counseling and Career Center.

Identify transfer schools that have the major(s) you are considering.

Meet with a counselor to discuss transfer opportunities, majors, and articulation agreements.

Meet with college representatives at during a college visit, or make a trip to visit their campus.

Request applications, college view books, college catalogs and scholarship materials.

High School transcript and ACT/SAT are usually required if transferring after one year

Sophomore Year 25-62 credits

Lower Division Transfer Program

Complete transfer applications and have official transcripts sent from all colleges attended. You can request your GRCC transcripts using the Online Center.

Gather all necessary letters of recommendations. When asking someone to write a letter for you, it is helpful to provide a resume, statement identifying your goal, and copy of your transcript. Also make sure to give them plenty of time to complete a letter.

Complete scholarship applications. Many deadlines are January/February for the fall semester but some competitive scholarships can be earlier. It is best to check with your transfer school.

Complete the financial aid form and be sure to include your transfer school.

Submit housing deposit if needed or arrange for off-campus housing. Deadlines are usually January to March for the fall semester.

Attend transfer orientation to prepare class schedule and meet with the major advisor (usually begins in March for the fall semester).

Send final transcript upon completion of all courses at GRCC.

Students can transfer with or without a 2 year degree

Junior Year 62+ credits

Upper Division options

Currently, Grand Rapids Community College has agreements with Davenport University, Ferris State University-Grand Rapids, Northwood University-Grand Rapids, and Siena Heights University for selective majors. Contact the schools to learn about your options.

Transfer students will continue to take classes at transfer school.

Additional Transfer Information

The following links can also help you in your search for transfer schools, obtaining information about specific programs, and more. You can also explore transfer schools in Michigan.

  • Peterson's Guide – college search, test preparation, and financial aid information.
  • College Board – college quick finder allows you to search nationwide for a college/university using various criteria: cost, location, religious affiliation, athletics and more.
  • U.S. Colleges/Universities – U.S. Universities, Colleges and Community Colleges listed by state provided by the University of Texas at Austin.
  • U.S. News & World Report Education Services –America's Best Colleges 2006 sortable ranking tables, searchable directory, school comparison tool.
  • MACRAO – Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers. Transfer information for schools in Michigan.
  • College Board Online Services – College Board tests (SAT, PSAT, ACT, CLEP, AP), college search engine, tips for applying to college.