Apply for International Admission

Requirements for International Admission to GRCC

  1. Review GRCC International Student Application Instructions document for detailed information on the process
  2. Completed GRCC International Student Admissions Application signed by applicant
  3. Financial Resources Documentation — proof of available funds to cover educational expenses (see Financial Requirements page for details). Students must provide a bank statement and customer profile from a bank certifying the availability of $24,170 US Dollars. The current international student tuition rate is $359/contact hour. 
  4. Proof of English proficiency (see further details on the English requirements page). Students must prove (with sufficient test scores) adequate competency in the English language unless English is his or her native language. See complete list of exempt countries on the English requirements page. 
  5. Copy of High School diploma/transcript or College transcript — proof of successful completion of studies equivalent to secondary level education.
  6. A photocopy of your passport ID

Transfer Students

Transfer students are students currently attending another U.S. college or university and intend to come to GRCC, obtain a GRCC I-20, and work toward a program of study. In addition to the documents listed above, a transfer student must also submit:

  • A copy of your current I-20
  • An official copy of your current college or university transcript
  • A copy of the current F-1 visa
  • A copy of your current I-94 record
  • A completed GRCC Transfer In Form

Submit all above materials by the required deadline.

International applicants wishing to begin in the Fall semester (August) must submit a completed application by June 1. Students wishing to begin in the Winter semester (January) must submit a completed application by October 1. For those international students transferring in from other institutions the deadlines are extended to July 1 for Fall semester and November 1 for Winter semester.

Obtaining Foreign Transfer Credit

Previous education credentials obtained at higher education institutions outside of the United States should be evaluated from an independent source. International transcripts must be evaluated by a recognized private educational evaluating agency before considering international credits for transfer. Evaluation reports are accepted from Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES). Request a course-by-course evaluation and pay required fee. Instruct the Credential Services to mail an official report directly to the GRCC Student Records Office along with another official transcript.

Where to submit application documents

All application materials and supporting documents should be mailed directly to the following address:

International Student Admissions Officer
Admissions Office - Room 123 Main Building
Grand Rapids Community College
143 Bostwick Avenue NE
Grand Rapids MI 49503-3201 USA

An I-20 will be issued by Grand Rapids Community College after all above documents are received and processed by the Admissions Office.

If you have further questions or would like additional information, please call (616) 234-3420 or email For more information about studying in the United States, please visit

Becoming an F-1 student

  • Submit GRCC international student application and required supporting documentation
  • Receive your admission acceptance letter and I-20 in the post.  Review the letter and read page 2 of your I-20 before signing and dating it.
  • Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee and keep your receipt. Refer to the handout included in with the acceptance letter and I-20 for further details. The SEVIS fee website has detailed information as well as answers to frequently asked questions.
  • Contact your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate to schedule your visa interview.
  • Prepare for and attend your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy.
  • When approved, contact GRCC Admissions via email.  Determine ideal arrival date. Be sure to plan your travel to arrive in time for the required New International Student Orientation.
  • Make your travel plans to arrive approximately 2-3 weeks (but no more than 30 days) before the start of your program. 
  • Travel with your I-20 and passport in your hand luggage and present your documents at the port of entry to the United States.  Your I-20 and passport will be stamped by an immigration official.  Your "I-94" arrival record can be accessed online at
  • Congratulations! You are now a student in the U.S. Remember to keep your passport, I-20, and visa in a secure location at all times.
  • Once you have arrived in Grand Rapids, you will schedule an initial meeting with your International Student Advisor to review paperwork and discuss the next steps in the enrollment process. You will also take a required placement test and meet with an academic counselor to receive guidance selecting and registering for courses. 
  • Before the semester begins you will attend the mandatory New International Student Orientation. This informative session covers important details regarding your immigration status, the GRCC academic experience, and strategies for successfully navigating the college environment.

F-1 visa Regulations

In compliance with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) regulations, international students are required to carry no fewer than 12 credit hours each semester (excluding the Summer semester). Students must have the approval of the International Student Advisor before dropping classes. Failure to maintain the required credit hour minimum will affect your F-1 status.

F-1 students are permitted to work on campus up to a maximum of 20 hours per week. Students can inquire about positions on campus at GRCC's Student Employment Services Office.

Students changing their address are required to submit their new address to Admissions Office within 10 days of moving.
All F-1 visa holders are required to pay the Out-of-State/International student tuition rate throughout the duration of their status at GRCC.
Any student wishing to leave the country for either travel or vacation must have the back of their I-20 endorsed by the International Student Advisor (or a Designated School Official). Please allow a minimum of 5 days for this signature.

Detailed regulations are available at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website.