Meditation and Prayer Room
The Meditation and Prayer Room has been created with the help of a cross-college team, including students of many different faith- and non-faith-based backgrounds. This room, located on the main floor of the Library and Learning Commons (near the circulation desk) allows for students, faculty and staff to quietly meditate, reflect or pray. The room is not reservable and is available for use whenever the Library and Learning Commons is open.
This space is intended to be a welcoming and inclusive environment. Users of this space are expected to respect the beliefs, traditions and cultures of others. All students and employees who use the Prayer and Meditation Room have a shared responsibility with the college in ensuring the safety and security of the space. This room is meant for reflection and contemplation and can be used by up to six people at a time.
General oversight for the room is provided by the Office of Student Life and Conduct, with monitoring being provided by the Library and Learning Commons. The team has established guidelines for the use of the Meditation and Prayer Room.
Room Use Guidelines
- The space to meditate, pray, reflect, etc. is provided. GRCC is not able to provide or store religious or personal items.
- Please remove shoes and place backpacks, jackets, etc. at the back of the room.
- Quiet, individual prayer, reflection and/or meditation is encouraged.
- Candles, burning oils, incense or any other flammable items are not permitted.
- This room is not a posting area. Any postings or materials left behind will be removed.
- This room is monitored by the Library Circulation Desk; please report any issues needing immediate attention to the Circulation Desk.
- If you have any general concerns about the Meditation and Prayer Room, please email (firstname.lastname@example.org), call ((616) 234-3924) or stop by (24 Student Center) the Office of Student Life and Conduct.
- To report an issue of discrimination or harassment related to your use of this space, please contact Kimberly DeVries (email@example.com, (616) 234-2120).
- If you feel that your safety is being threatened, please contact GRCC Campus Police at (616) 234-4911 or 911.