Gerontology is the study of the field of aging, and focuses on a basic understanding of processes, programs, and policies related to aging; these include the process of aging, and particularly the biological, behavioral and social aspects of later life.
Career OpportunitiesWith the older population expanding twice as fast as the general population, there is a growing need for knowledgeable, experienced, and compassionate individuals to provide assistance and support to older adults and their families. The demand for qualified individuals in the field of gerontology is expected to increase much faster than average because of the growth of the aging population and programs designated to provide services to older persons. With GRCC’s Gerontology Certificate program, you can:
- Earn a certificate along with another degree(such as Nursing or Occupational Therapy Assistant).
- Earn a certificate as a credential to complement your current degrees or professional certifications.
- Earn a certificate to enhance your skills and employability in a transfer degree program such as social work or business.
- Take individual classes to enhance your skills.
Advantages of GRCC’s Gerontology Certificate Program
GRCC is a member of the Association for Gerontology in Higher Education (AGHE). The Certificate program meets AGHE standards. A Gerontology Certificate could enhance your employability and improve your job performance in many fields. You can complete this certificate program in one year or part-time at your own pace.
The Certificate in Gerontology at GRCC requires a minimum of 15 credit hours. The following lists both the required and elective courses.
- GO-203, Physical/Mental Health and Aging
- GO-261, Growing Old in a New Age
- GO-262, Aging in America
- GO-263, Death and Dying
Any two of the following elective classes:
- PY-201, General Psychology
- PY-203, Applied Psychology
- PY-231, Abnormal Psychology
- PY-232, Developmental Psychology
- PY-260, Social Psychology
- SW-102, Introduction to Social Work
- SW-103, Social Work Interviewing and Assessment