Grand Rapids Community College Occupational Therapy Assistant program partners with other areas of the college, community organizations and agencies. These partnerships offer a variety of hands-on experiences to enhance the student's learning.
The Grand Rapids Community College Occupational Therapy Assistant students' feedback indicates that these are valuable experiences because they are able to practice skills and concepts learned in the classroom with consumers.
- Senior facilities - Explore home safety and accessibility concerns.
- Early childhood programs at GRCC and community - Assess developmental levels and observe performance in selected activities.
- Return to work program - Plan and facilitate life skill groups.
- Special education centers for children and young adults - Provide activities to enhance gross and fine motor development.
- Work stations at GRCC dental program - Assess and recommend modifications for a safe work environment.
- Senior respite program - Observe clients performing activities.
- Senior wellness program - Observe clients performing selected exercises to enhance wellness.
- Senior long term care facilities - Assess leisure interests and plan and facilitate activities.
The GRCC OTA club exists to support students in the GRCC OTA program in the following ways:
- Offers outside the classroom experiences that expose OTA students to the variety of populations served by occupational therapy practitioners
- Encourages and enables member's participation in service projects and social events
- Supports student involvement in GRCC Student Congress, as well as the Michigan Occupational Therapy Association and the American Occupational Therapy Association