Practical Nursing Admission Requirements:
- High school GPA of 2.0 (or GED equivalent) or a College GPA of at least 2.0 for students with 12 or more college credits.
- HESI Exam (scored subtests: math, reading comprehension, vocabulary & general knowledge, grammar). There is a fee for this exam. Effective August 15, 2015, passing score on each subtest must be 75% or higher. Click here for more info.
- All prospective health students are required to submit to a criminal background check (CBC) to be eligible for all GRCC Health Programs.
- Background Check Form and ICHAT
- Students may conduct their own ICHAT online and print off the results and bring that evidence, along with the Preliminary Background Check Form, to Campus Police or Health Admissions.
- Bring the Preliminary Background Check Form, with $10, to Campus Police or Health Admissions
- Form available here: Preliminary Background Check Form
- Drug Screen: Must have a negative 7-panel urine drug screen. May be able to use a drug screen done within the past 12 months. Results should be submitted to the Health Admissions Office, 600 College Park Plaza.
Foundational Courses & Academic Probation/Suspension (Effective fall 2015)
In order to be eligible for admission into the Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) or Practical Nursing program, students must have successfully completed any required AFP courses with a grade of at least C and be in good academic standing.
Any student placed on Academic Probation/Suspension while on the waitlist or while enrolled in either nursing program will be withdrawn. Students wishing to pursue nursing after this may re-apply after following GRCC’s academic suspension policy and returning to good academic standing.
Prospective students may apply for entry into the Practical Nursing Program at the completion of their junior year in high school.
To be eligible for graduation, Practical Nursing students must earn a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.0 in the prescribed PN curriculum. In addition, to be eligible for graduation, a minimum grade of an 80% is required in each of the required nursing courses. GH 125 must be successfully completed with a grade of C or higher.
At GRCC, opportunities exist for graduates of the Practical Nursing program to enter the Associate Degree Nursing program with advanced standing. Students interested in following this path should contact the Director of Nursing Programs or view the Nursing Programs website for additional information.