Main Navigation Menu

A collage of pictures of the library

Library Frequently Asked Questions

General Information | Library Services | Circulation | Reference | Periodicals | Off-Campus

General Information

Where is the library located?

The GRCC Library & Learning Commons is located at 140 Ransom Avenue N.E. between the Music Building and the Applied Technology Center (ATC). It is also known as the Arthur Andrews Memorial Library, the Learning Commons, or the Learning Resource Center. GRCC Campus Map or Google Maps

Who do I call for information?

  • Library Hours 616.234.3870
  • Reference Desk 616.234.3868
  • Circulation/Reserves 616.234.3872
  • Periodicals 616.234.3871
  • Director's Office 616.234.3867

What are your hours?

Fall & Winter semester

Library daily hours:

  • Monday-Thursday 7:30am - 9:45pm
  • Friday 7:30am - 5:00pm

Library weekend hours:

  • Saturday 10:00am - 2:00pm
  • Sunday 1:00pm - 5:00pm

Summer session

  • Monday-Thursday, 8:00am - 8:00pm
  • Friday, 8:00am - 5:00pm
  • Closed weekends and holidays

Semester breaks & holidays

Hours will be posted in the library, on our web page, social media, or you can call 616.234.3870.

Who can use the library and do I need a library card?

If you are a current GRCC student, faculty, or staff, your RaiderCard is your library card and is automatically registered to you each semester. The RaiderCard allows you to check out materials, login to library computers, print, use interlibrary loan services and MelCat, access materials off campus, check out headphones, and other services.

If you are a former GRCC student, you can still use your RaiderCard and check out materials, but with some restrictions will apply. You will not be able to login to the computers, use interlibrary loan services and MelCat or access materials off campus.

If you're not a student or work at the college, you can register for a free library card by bringing in a photo ID. Please note that some services, such as computer access, is restricted for non-students.

We also honor the MichiCard, which is available from over 300 state wide academic and public libraries. Please contact the library for more information.

What if I don't have my ID or my library card?

If you do not have your library card or ID available, please bring another form of picture ID along with your Raider number when you are checking out materials.

Do I have to be a student to use the computers?


I'm not a student and I want to use the computers. What do I do?

The Applied Technology Center (ATC) collects a small use fee for non-students.

Where can I park?

The main Bostwick parking ramp is across Ransom Avenue to the west and accepts RaiderCard. There is additional RaiderCard parking i available in the lot at Barclay & Lyon, to the east of the building. There is also public parking available on Fountain, Ransom, and other areas around the college.

Can I use my cell phone in the library?

Out of respect for others, please mute the ring of your cell phone while in the library and please take all calls out to the main lobby. . There's a pay phone directly across from the library entry near the vending machines.

Where's the bathroom?

Restrooms are inside the library at the east and west sides of both floors.

How much are copies?

Copies are $.10 per page for black and white, and $.50 for color. Material can be scanned to your email account without charge. Transparency film for the copiers is for sale at the Circulation Desk for an additional $.25

Library Services

What services does the library have?

  • Periodicals Desk – second floor, north wall.
  • Interlibrary Loan – second floor, ask at the Periodicals Desk.
  • Microfiche machines - Second floor, near periodicals
  • Circulation Desk – first floor beside the library exit.
  • Reference Desk – first floor immediately inside the entrance.
  • Student Computers – first & second floors.
  • Wireless Access/printing – is available throughout the LRC to registered staff
  • Audio-Visual (A-V) Equipment – first floor, SE corner.
  • Copiers – first floor, east wall by the Circulation Desk, center of the first floor by the column, and second floor, north wall. Please note all three copiers are black and white, but the one located on the first floor near the column also does color printing.


The Circulation Desk is where you may check out library materials, retrieve items placed on reserve by instructors, get headphones to use in the library, get change, and pay fines.

How much are overdue fines?

Twenty five cents per book per day. The maximum fine is $10.00 per item. A lost book is billed for its replacement cost plus a $10 processing fee. For most Reserve materials, the fines are $.25/hour. Overdue fines of $.10/hour apply to periodicals.

What should I do if I have a library hold?

If you have overdue materials and/or fines of more than $2, a library hold will be placed in your student record and you won't be able to register for classes, receive financial aid reimbursement, or obtain your official transcript. Contact Circulation at 616.234.3872 or 616.234.3189 for assistance.

How long can I keep library materials?

Books generally circulate to students for three weeks; loan periods vary for other types of materials. Students are allowed one self-serve renewal through RaiderCat.

What are Reserves?

Materials may be placed on reserve by your instructor to ensure that the whole class will have access to the required readings. Ask for them at the Circulation Desk. They're usually available for two hours and must be used in the library. A few items, however, are open reserve with unique loan periods set by the instructor.

How do I check out Reserves?

Tell the Circulation Desk the name of your instructor and the course number, for example, Mitchell-EC251.

Reference Desk

Reference librarians can help you locate resources for your class assignments and research projects. Librarians are available at the reference desk during library hours. You can reach librarians via email or phone anytime, however, responses are restricted to business hours.

Periodicals Desk

The Periodicals Desk houses journals, magazines, microforms, career pamphlets, and newspapers. You can read, scan, or print from microforms or ask about interlibrary loan services.

Help! I've never used microforms before.

Ask for help at the Periodicals Desk. You can read, scan to a file, or print from microforms. Paper copies are $.10 per page.

How do I check out magazines and journals?

Note the name of the periodical along with the issue date and ask for it at the Periodicals Desk. Periodicals are due back before closing the same day. They must be used in the library.

What magazine titles do you carry?

Thousands, in print and electronic form. Use RaiderSearch, select JOURNAL from the drop down list and put in your title and then click search to see if the library carries your title. If you're not sure what your title is or you want to do general browsing, do a general keyword search of your topic. If still nothing is coming up, then contact a librarian.

What if I need an article and you don't have a subscription to that periodical?

If we don't have a paper subscription, we may have it online.  You may also request articles through interlibrary loan or visit the owning library.

What's Interlibrary Loan?

Interlibrary Loan allows you to borrow materials our library doesn't own. Several formats may be available. Visit the interlibrary loan web page for details, or ask at the Periodicals Desk. Materials arrive in about 10 days to 2 weeks. Please pick them up at the Periodicals Desk.

How long can I keep Interlibrary Loan materials?

Book loans vary according to the loan rules of the lending library. Copies of articles are yours to keep.

What's MelCat?

MelCat is a statewide service that helps you locate and borrow books that GRCC doesn't own. Always begin in RaiderCat. If the item you want isn't available, click the button that says 'Search MelCat'. Deliveries usually take from 3 to 5 business days. We'll attempt to contact you by email or phone when your request arrives. Pick items up at the Periodicals Desk.

What can I do from home?

Anything you can do on campus, you can do off campus any where in the world. After logging in via the proxy, you will be able to: