Who can use the library and do I need a library card?
If you are a current GRCC student, faculty, or staff, your RaiderCard is your library card and is automatically registered to you each semester. The RaiderCard allows you to check out materials, login to library computers, print, use interlibrary loan services and MelCat, access materials off campus, check out headphones, and other services.
If you are a former GRCC student, you can still use your RaiderCard and check out materials, but with some restrictions will apply. You will not be able to login to the computers, use interlibrary loan services and MelCat or access materials off campus.
Community members may present a photo ID to register for a free library card. Please note that some services, such as computer access, is restricted for non-students.
Library users who visit the library without their card should present another form of picture ID and their Raider number to check out materials.
How much are copies?
Copies are $.10 per page for black and white, and $.50 for color. Material can be scanned to your email account without charge. Transparency film for the copiers is for sale at the Circulation Desk for an additional $.25
What else is available in the library?
- Interlibrary Loan – second floor
- Microfiche machines - Second floor, near periodicals
- Circulation Desk – first floor beside the library exit.
- Reference Desk – first floor immediately inside the entrance.
- Student Computers – first & second floors.
- Wireless Access/printing – is available throughout the LRC to registered staff
- Audio-Visual (A-V) Equipment – first floor, southeast corner.
- Copiers – first floor, east wall by the Circulation Desk, center of the first floor by the column, and second floor, north wall. Please note all three copiers are black and white, but the one located on the first floor near the column also does color printing.
The Circulation Desk is where you may check out library materials, retrieve items placed on reserve by instructors, get headphones to use in the library, get change, and pay fines.
How long can I keep library materials?
Books generally circulate to students for three weeks; loan periods vary for other types of materials. Students are allowed one self-serve renewal through RaiderCat.
How much are overdue fines?
Twenty five cents per book per day. The maximum fine is $10.00 per item. A lost book is billed for its replacement cost plus a $10 processing fee. For most Reserve materials, the fines are $.25/hour. Overdue fines of $.10/hour apply to periodicals.
What should I do if my student record has a library hold?
If you have overdue materials and/or fines of more than $2, a library hold will be placed in your student record and you won't be able to register for classes, receive financial aid reimbursement, or obtain your official transcript. Contact Circulation at (616) 234-3872 or (616) 234-3189 for assistance.
What are Reserves?
Materials may be placed on reserve by your instructor to ensure that the whole class will have access to the required readings. Tell the Circulation Desk the name of your instructor and the course number, for example, Mitchell-EC251. They're usually available for two hours and must be used in the library. A few items, however, are open reserve with unique loan periods set by the instructor.
What is Interlibrary Loan?
The GRCC library Interlibrary Loan service helps you borrow whatever materials you need from another library. Loan periods vary according to the loan rules of the lending library. Copies of articles are yours to keep. Visit the interlibrary loan web page for details.
What is MelCat?
MelCat is a statewide service that helps you locate and borrow books that GRCC doesn't own. Always begin in RaiderCat. If the item you want isn't available, click the button that says 'Search MelCat'. Deliveries usually take from 3 to 5 business days. We'll attempt to contact you by email or phone when your request arrives. Pick items up at the Periodicals Desk.
Reference librarians can help you locate resources for your class assignments and research projects. Librarians are available at the reference desk during library hours. You can reach librarians via email or phone anytime, however, responses are restricted to business hours.
Library web based services and resources are available from off campus locations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Your Raider Card number may be required to:
- Search through RaiderSearch
- Access any of the databases available on campus
- Read any of the ebooks available on campus
- Check your library account, renew titles, and check ILL requests
- Watch any of the videos or hear any of the audio books available online
- Place MeLCat requests
- Get email assistance for your reference questions