This Job Training program will take place at the construction site, where students will be remodeling an existing home. Students will have hands-on learning and application about the entire process of residential remodeling including blue print reading, site layout, concrete, carpentry, door/window installation, roofing, siding, wiring, plumbing and interior finishing. Graduates will be qualified for employment in the residential construction industry. Prerequisite: This advanced program is recommended for students that have completed the GRCC Construction Trades program or other similar construction program. An assessment will be provided to interested students that are unsure of their construction skills. This course utilizes the NCCER Level 1 Carpentry National Curriculum and LEED for Homes remodeling techniques.
Monday - Thursday 7:30 am - 4:00 pm
What Skills do you need to have prior to beginning training?
The student should demonstrate reading and math skills. One should also possess the ability to work with others. Good hand/eye coordination and manual dexterity are also recommended.
What will you learn while in training?
- Identify key building materials
- Complete a site layout using blueprints and elevations
- Operate hand and power tools
- Observe installing of concrete foundation and complete flat work
- Construct floor, wall, ceiling and roof framing
- Demonstrate roofing applications
- Apply windows, exterior doors and finishes
- Identify thermal and moisture protection systems
- Measure, cut-out and install stairway
- Install interior finishes: Doors, windows, floor, ceiling and cabinets
- Lead abatement procedures
- Green Remodeling techniques
- How to operate a construction remodeling business
How much can you make?
Skilled entry-level starting wages currently average $10.00 to $15.00 per hour, depending upon the company and the competency and experience of the applicant.
Where is it?
Leslie E. Tassell M-TEC
622 Godfrey SW
Grand Rapids MI 49503