Work Study is part-time, on campus employment for students with financial need allowing them to earn money to help pay educational expenses. Work study funding is subsidized from the federal or the state government.
Students who are interested in working under the work study program must complete a Work Study Request Form with the Financial Aid Office. Once the student has been awarded work study, they may contact the Student Employment Office at (616) 234-4170. Money that is earned in this program is paid directly to the student.
Rate of pay = $7.75/hour. Paid bi-weekly
- Must be enrolled for a minimum of six (6) credit hours for Fall/Winter semester(s) and regularly attending class.
- May work up to their awarded eligibility but not more than 28 hours per week.
- Must be referred to all positions by contacting the Student Employment Office. Positions are limited and given to eligible students on a first come, first served basis.
- Dropping below half-time enrollment will release you from the position immediately.
- Cannot be scheduled to work during the time of their scheduled classes.
- Are expected to report to their work site at the assigned time.
- Are expected to contact the supervisor if they want to quit working or are unable to report to work at their assigned time.
Work study awards are based on remaining unmet need after grant sources have been determined. Work study awards may reduce or eliminate a student’s need for a loan under the Federal Direct Loan Program.