It is no longer necessary for students to request a student loan. If eligible, you will be awarded a Federal Direct Loan as part of your financial aid package. Loans are federally funded sources of assistance that must be repaid with interest.
Federal Direct Stafford Loans
Students may qualify for a “subsidized” Federal Direct Stafford Loan based on financial need. Student may qualify for an “unsubsidized” Federal Direct Stafford Loan regardless on other criteria. These loans are repaid six months after you graduate from college, leave school or drop below half-time status.
Students who are enrolled half-time (6 or more credits hours), meet standards of satisfactory progress and meet need requirements may be eligible for these loans. The current interest rate for 2013-14 is 3.86% for both Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans.
To apply for a Federal Direct Student Loan:
Student loans are awarded to all eligible students. If you wish to accept your loans, you will need to do this on your Online Student Center. If you need to set up your account on your online students center, go to login request and complete your request. If you are a first time borrower, you will need to complete an Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note. In your award letter that was sent to you are student loan instructions to guide you through the process.
Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) loans are not need-based and accrue interest while the student is enrolled at least half-time (minimum 6 credits). PLUS loans are borrowed by a parent to pay for the educational costs of his/her dependent student.
- Are based on the parent’s credit. The credit check is conducted by the lender (the U.S. Department of Education).
- Students whose parent has been denied a PLUS loan based on credit may qualify for additional Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans.
- Parents may choose to get a Endorser (co-signer). If you wish to get an Endorser or appeal the credit decision made, please contact Applicant Services at 1-800-557-7394.
- Begin repayment sixty days after the first disbursement of the loan.
- The current interest rate for PLUS Loans for 2013-14 is 6.41%.
- Accrue interest while the student is enrolled half-time.
To apply for a PLUS Loan:
- Student and parent must complete the FAFSA.
- Parent and student must complete GRCC’s Parent PLUS Loan Request Form.
- Parent must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- This is an agreement between the parent and the Federal Government to repay the Federal Direct Loans received to pay for their son/daughter(s) educational costs.
- The parent will use the 4 digit PIN number the he/she used to electronically sign the FAFSA.
- GRCC will receive electronic confirmation that the parent has signed his/her MPN 1-2 days after the parent has done so.
- To complete the Promissory Note go to: www.studentloans.gov
GRCC does not provide information to students regarding borrowing funds from private lenders or have preferred lender arrangements with any private financial institutions. We will certify private loan application forms that are submitted to GRCC by students. Students can use the Self Certification form for this purpose.