Verification of Income Information for Tax Filers
Students required to complete the verification process will no longer be allowed to submit their federal income tax returns to satisfy this requirement. There are now only two ways to satisfy this requirement:
1) IRS Data Retrieval – The fastest, easiest way to meet these requirements is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool within the FAFSA. Sign in at www.fafsa.gov and choose Make FAFSA Corrections. In a few simple steps, you may be able to link to the IRS Web site and securely transfer student and parent tax return information directly into your FAFSA.
- Go to: How do I update my FAFSA using IRS Data Retrieval? from our financial aid Information Station web page.
The Federal Processing Center will process your FAFSA corrections and send the results to GRCC. As long as you did not change the data transferred from the IRS, your corrected FAFSA will be considered documentation of income and tax data. Remember, the IRS data must be retrieved for both the student and parents (if both filed tax returns). The FAFSA must be signed and submitted for the update to be processed and sent to us.
2) Tax Return Transcript – Under certain conditions, students/parents are not eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. If you meet any of these conditions, you will NOT be able to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool:
- When a married, independent applicant and spouse filed separate tax returns.
- When a married, independent applicant or spouse’s filing status is Head of Household.
- When the parents of a dependent applicant filed separate tax returns.
- When a parent of a dependent applicant’s filing status is Head of Household.
- When an applicant or parent filed an amended return.
- When an applicant or parent filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return.
- When an applicant or parent is unable to successfully log into the IRS Web site to retrieve their data.
If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool you must obtain a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS and submit it to the GRCC Financial Aid Office. Tax filers can request a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS, free of charge, in one of three ways.
- Go to: How Do I Request an IRS Tax Transcript? from our financial aid Information Station web page.