Verification of Income Information for Tax Filers
You may correct (update) your FAFSA income data by importing the federal tax information directly from the IRS. By correcting your FAFSA, using data retrieval tool (DRT), you may not have to request a IRS Tax Transcript from the IRS to verify your FAFSA information.
- Log in to your FAFSA at: www.fafsa.gov
- Select make FAFSA Corrections
- Enter your FSA ID and Password
- Navigate to the "financial information section"
- Select "already completed my tax return"
- Select option to link to the IRS and follow the directions
- Complete these steps for student and parent(s), if applicable
- Click "transfer now" once your IRS data appears
- Do not change the IRS data after it has been transferred to your FAFSA
- Return to the FAFSA, sign and re-submit your FAFSA
If you are unable to complete the DRT tool in the FAFSA, you may request a tax transcript from the IRS.
Tax filers can request a Tax Return Transcript from the IRS, free of charge, in one of three ways.