Display presents the college's best and brightest student poets, fiction writers, prose writers, artists, photographers, and graphic designers. A showcase of the finest talent at Grand Rapids Community College each year, the magazine is published in late fall/early winter and again in the spring and distributed free throughout the college. Editors are chosen from the student population, and interested students are welcome to apply by contacting the Display Advisors noted below.
All GRCC students may submit their work to Display. Submissions are generally accepted in November and in March. Literature entries accepted by Display include short stories, one-act plays, poetry, and narrative essays (rather than academic or research essays).
Submission Guidelines for Literature Entries
- Display accepts fiction (short stories), one-act plays, poetry, and essays (nonfiction).
- All manuscripts must be typed and marked for genre: fiction, play, poetry, or essay.
- Manuscript Lengths: Display accepts fiction and nonfiction (essays) of up to 4,000 words, though flash and short fiction pieces are often in the range of 500 to 2,000 words. Short plays should be no more than 10 pages in length and formatted with left-aligned character names (rather than the traditional centered format, which uses more space).
- Quantities Accepted: Up to (5) poems, (2) prose entries (fiction/nonfiction), and/or (2) short plays will be accepted from each student. A student may enter in one or more genres. (Example: one student could enter 5 poems and 2 prose pieces.)
- Submit three (3) hard copies of each manuscript with no name or contact information. Attach a cover page with name, address, phone, email, and a list of entries by genre and title (Example: Poetry, “Stay” / Poetry, “Red Rock” / Poetry, “Windows” / etc.).
- Submit (3) hard copies with cover page in an envelope addressed to Display to the English Dept. Office, 4th Floor, College Park Plaza building. College Park Plaza is accessible via the walkway from the 1st floor of Cook hall (northwest corner of Cook). The walkway connects to the 2nd floor of College Park Plaza; elevators or stairs can be taken to the 4th Floor. Entries may be submitted in the after-hours drop box outside of the English Department's 4th Floor door.
- In addition to hard copies, e-mail your manuscript to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Attach files in one of three formats: .doc, .docx, or .rtf. Subject line must include genre and your full name (Example: Fiction, Jane Smith).
We look forward to reading your work.
Fall 2016 Literature Entry Deadline: Wednesday, November 16, 2016
Winter 2016 Literature Entry Deadline: Wednesday, March 15, 2017
Submission of Art Entries
Art Entries are accepted from students currently enrolled in Art Department courses, on a deadline schedule that differs from Literature entry deadlines. For information regarding submissions of art and photography, please contact the Art Dept. Display Advisor (listed below) or see your current Art Department faculty for details.