Collaborating with a wide array of campus departments such as Information Technology and the Center for Teaching Excellence, the Distance Learning and Instructional Technologies (DLIT) Department leads, administers, coordinates, supports, and creates opportunities for our academic community to leverage technology in teaching and learning.
The department supports faculty and assists in providing students with online learning opportunities through distance learning, as well as a wide array of instructional technologies that empower faculty and contribute to student success. More information about the DLIT Department is available in "About Us".
Distance Learning / Online Courses
- Grand Rapids Community College (GRCC) has a long history of delivering distance education since it first began offering telecourses in 1979.
- Distance Learning at GRCC has grown to over 6,000 student enrollments in online and hybrid courses each semester.
- Student resources for online learning are available in the "Online Learning for Students" web site.
- Faculty interested in teaching online can locate resources in the "Teaching Online" web page.
- GRCC provides a vast array of instructional technologies for students and faculty. DLIT provides leadership, administration, coordination, and support for faculty in their use of Blackboard Learn (GRCC's enterprise course management system), Starfish Early Alert, Camtasia Relay, Blackboard IM, Blackboard Connect, Blackboard Voice Tools, Mobile Learning, and a wide assortment of other technologies related to teaching and learning.
- Faculty resources are available on the "Teaching with Technology" web page.
- Blackboard Tip Sheets and Tutorials are available on the "Learn Bb" area of this site.
Special Events and Activities
- GRCC Digital Initiative - Providing faculty with access to innovative teaching tools and resources such as: iPads, iPod touch, video cameras, webcams, microphones, e-readers, and more!
- Summary Technology Institute - Full immerse in learning through the Blackboard Bootcamp, a focus on advanced technologies, and dedicated project time.
- Donuts and Distance Learning & Blackboard and Bagels - We provide the rounds and you arrive to enjoy, discuss, share, connect, and learn.
- Teaching, Learning, and Technology Showcase - Leveraging technology in teaching through sharing, learning, experiencing, and connecting with colleagues.
- Distance Learning Faculty Advisory Board - Providing feedback for online learning, Blackboard, and emerging technologies. This board is an official sub-committee of the Academic Governing Council (AGC).