Collaborating with a wide array of campus departments such as Information Technology and the Center for Teaching Excellence, the Distance Learning and Instructional Technologies (DLIT) Department leads, administers, coordinates, supports and creates opportunities for our academic community to leverage technology in teaching and learning.
The department supports faculty and assists in providing students with online learning opportunities through distance learning, as well as a wide array of instructional technologies that empower faculty and contribute to student success. More information about the DLIT Department is available here.
Distance Learning / Online Courses
- Grand Rapids Community College (GRCC) has a long history of delivering distance education since it first began offering telecourses in 1979.
- Distance Learning at GRCC has grown to more than 6,000 student enrollments in online and hybrid courses each semester.
- Student resources for online learning are available in the Online Learning for Students website.
- Faculty interested in teaching online can locate resources in the Teaching Online web page.
- GRCC provides a vast array of instructional technologies for students and faculty. DLIT provides leadership, administration, coordination and support for faculty in their use of Blackboard Learn (GRCC's enterprise course management system), Starfish Early Alert, Camtasia Relay, Blackboard IM, Blackboard Connect, Blackboard Voice Tools, Mobile Learning and a wide assortment of other technologies related to teaching and learning.
- Faculty resources are available on the Teaching with Technology web page.
- Blackboard Tip Sheets and Tutorials are available on the Learn Bb area of this site.
Special Events and Activities
- GRCC Digital Initiative –Providing faculty with access to innovative teaching tools and resources such as iPads, iPod touch, video cameras, webcams, microphones, e-readers and more!
- Summer Teaching Institute –(Formerly known as the Summer Technology Institute) Fully immerse in learning through a series of sessions focused on Blackboard and advanced uses of the instructional technologies at GRCC.
- Teaching and Learning Showcase – An opportunity for faculty to highlight the innovative practices they are using to help students succeed.
- Distance Learning Faculty Advisory Board – Providing feedback for online learning, Blackboard and emerging technologies. This board is an official sub-committee of the Academic Governing Council (AGC).