Juvenile Services

Juvenile service workers help children and adolescents in corrections or human service settings. Those in this field may work in juvenile courts, juvenile detention centers, residential homes for youth, drug abuse centers and other agencies that help young people in trouble.

Although most positions require only an associate degree, students should consult with the Grand Rapids Community college Juvenile Services Program Coordinator concerning degree requirements for specific jobs.

Students in Juvenile Services (Plan Code 153) may qualify for either the Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences [AAAS] degree or the Associate in Arts [AA]. Those who wish to earn the AA will need to meet the communication, humanities and natural science requirements for that degree. The AA degree requires eight credits of natural science (one course must include a laboratory) and eight credits in humanities.

Courses may be taken in any order as long as all requirements (including prerequisites) are met.

Employment within the Criminal Justice field may be delayed or denied depending on a history of convictions involving felonies, misdemeanors, and/or involving controlled substances.