GRCC offers non-credit apprenticeship training for the construction industry that meets the Related Training Instruction (RTI) requirements of the U.S. Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship Training, Employer and Labor Services (OATELS) for registered apprenticeship programs. Employers who have apprenticeship programs registered with the Office of Apprenticeship can send their apprentices to GRCC's Leslie E. Tassell M-TEC for an established sequence of trade-related courses or can contract with the College to develop a customized training program.
Most of the Construction Trades programs are accredited through the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER), utilizing curriculum materials based on a national skill standard that requires both written and performance testing.
Upon completion of the program, the apprentice will receive a Certificate of Completion from the Office of Apprenticeship, the NCCER, and GRCC. Apprentices desiring to continue their education by obtaining an associate's degree can apply to receive articulated credit for their Certificate of Completion.
For further information on apprenticeships, please visit:
- Associated Builders and Contractors
- Michigan Apprenticeship Steering Committee, Inc.
- Office of Apprenticeship Training, Employer and Labor Services Web Site (OATELS)
- National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER)
The Construction Trades programs are also available to individuals who are not apprentices. Typically a non-apprentice is someone who:
- wants to learn a construction trade as either a first career, or as a career change
- wants to learn a specific construction skill for their own personal use
- is completing a certificate program in another field, that requires a specific construction trade training component
The Construction Trades programs are also available to individual contractors whose employees need specific skill training or updating. Customized Craft Training programs can be developed for individual contractors and trade associations.