The Excellence in Education Award was established in 1989 to honor an individual Grand Rapids Community College employee for his or her contributions to the College, higher education and the community. In 2000, the award was expanded to include recognition of an outstanding faculty member. Each recipient receives an award of $1,000 and a $1,000 contribution to the GRCC Foundation is made in the recipient’s name. In 2010 an award for adjunct faculty was also added. The recipient of the adjunct award receives $750.
In order to be nominated for the Excellence in Education Award for full-time faculty, a nominee must be a faculty member in good standing who has been employed by GRCC for at least five years and has not previously won the award.
In order to be nominated for the Excellence in Education Award for adjunct faculty, a nominee must be an employe in good standing who has taught at least one course in one semester in each of three consecutive academic years (or the following Summer session) as adjunct faculty, and has not previously won the award.
Nominees will be evaluated by a selection committee based on how well they exemplify the core, GRCC Values. These include:
- Excellence—We commit to the highest standards in our learning and working environment as we strive for distinction in all aspects of our work.
- Diversity—We create an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the values and dignity of each person.
- Responsiveness—We anticipate and address the needs of students, colleagues, and community.
- Innovation—We seek creative solutions to problems through experimentation and adaptation.
- Accountability—We set benchmarks and outcomes to frame our decision-making, measure our performance, and evaluate our results.
- Sustainability –We use resources in responsible ways to achieve balance among our social, economic, and environmental practices and policies.
- Respect—We treat others with courtesy, consideration and civility.
- Integrity –We commit to GRCC values and take personal responsibility for our words & actions.
Currently the forms for the awards are being updated. Check back later in the semester for nomination materials for the 2014-2015 awards.
The forms and instructions for staff award nominations can be found on the Staff Development site.