GRCC'S Process for Student Refunds
Grand Rapids Community College has partnered with HigherOne to process refunds from the college to students.
You have the choice to either have your refunds sent via direct deposit to your bank account or if you don't have a bank account, to set up a OneAccount (checking) through HigherOne. With this option, the GRCC Refund Access Card can be used as a debit card.
Cards will be mailed to first time students prior to the begining of their first semester. Please activate your card as soon as you receive it. Remember, even if you are not currently expecting a refund from GRCC, we may have a refund for you in the future. You only need to activate your card once for all future refunds from GRCC.
Simply put, your GRCC Refund Access Card is designed to provide you with increased choices and security when it comes to receiving your financial aid or school refunds.
- If you’re not sure that GRCC has your current mailing address, please take a moment to log into your Online Student Center to update your address information today. (NOTE: Do not update your address using the General Information menu if you are a GRCC staff employee or a student worker. Student Workers should request this change from the Student Employment Office. GRCC Staff must contact Human Resources.) Your new GRCC Refund Access Card will be mailed to your current address on file with GRCC. Therefore, it is critical that you verify your mailing address as soon as possible. (Log in to the Online Student Center)
- When your GRCC Refund Access Card arrives in the mail, make sure to activate it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How are refunds from Grand Rapids Community College delivered to students?
Refunds are delivered via the option selected when activating the GRCC Refund Access Card. Activate your refund preference and make your refund selection online by visiting GRCCRefundAccessCard.com. Once your refund preference is selected, funds are sent from GRCC to Higher One who then disburses the refunds according to your selection.
(Please note: In order to receive a refund, you must SELECT YOUR REFUND PREFERENCE as soon as your card arrives in the mail.)
How do I get my GRCC Refund Access Card?
Grand Rapids Community College students will receive a GRCC Refund Access Card from Higher One in the mail at their primary address on file with GRCC.
I don’t think I will ever get a refund. Why is it important to select a refund preference?
Although you might not currently expect a refund from Grand Rapids Community College, we may have a refund for you in the future. After all, it may be necessary to drop a class, a class may be cancelled or you may simply receive a scholarship or assistance you were not anticipating. Selecting your preferred method to receive refunds from GRCC ensures you’ll always receive your refunds in a timely manner.
What are my options for receiving Financial Aid or other refunds?
- ACH Transfer to other bank (refunds available 2-3 business days).
- Easy Refund to the OneAccount (refunds available the same day GRCC releases them).
What exactly is the OneAccount?
The OneAccount is a fully functioning FDIC Insured checking account with no minimum balance, no monthly fees and offers a world of great benefits such as:
- FREE Internet banking features
- The ability to make purchases anywhere Debit MasterCard® is accepted.
- You may also withdraw cash with no fees at Higher One ATMs located on or around campus.
Banking services provided by The Bancorp Bank, Member FDIC. The GRCC Refund Access Card is issued by The Bancorp Bank pursuant to license from MasterCard International Incorporated. The card is administered by Higher One, Inc.
NOTE: The OneAccount is a checking account and standard banking fees will be applied when applicable. Please review the OneAccount Fee Schedule for a complete list of all applicable banking fees. (Banking fees include Merchant PIN-based transactions, Replacement Card, Returned Deposit Item, etc.)
What are the advantages of having my refunds deposited directly to my OneAccount?
- Depositing your refund to the OneAccount and selecting an Easy Refund is one way to gain access to your refund money.
- The GRCC Refund Access Card is NOT A CREDIT CARD. However you can use it for purchases at all participating merchants that accept Debit MasterCard, get cash at ATMs, pay bills and more.
- Parents and friends can easily send you money online via the Send Money feature.
How will I know when my Financial Aid or other refund has been direct deposited to my Grand Rapids Community College OneAccount?
Higher One will send an email to the address you entered during activation when your refund has been deposited to your OneAccount. Additionally, you can view the details of your OneAccount by accessing your statement online at GRCCRefundAccessCard.com or by signing up to receive text messages sent directly to your cell phone with Mobile Alerts.
Can I have my refund deposited to another bank account?
Yes. You may have your refund deposited to the bank of your choice. In order to have your refund deposited to your bank, activate your refund preference as soon as you receive the card by visiting GRCCRefundAccessCard.com. During the activation process, select ACH Transfer to other bank for your refund preference and simply complete, print, and send the required third party form to the designated address. The form will be available online during the activation process.
Why is the MasterCard Brand Mark on my new GRCC Refund Access Card?
The GRCC Refund Access Card can be used to make purchases wherever Debit MasterCard is accepted. It is important to note that the GRCC Refund Access Card is NOT A CREDIT CARD, but rather a DEBIT CARD backed by the purchasing power of the MasterCard network.
What if I have additional questions?
Answers to additional questions along with an activation demo can be found by visiting GRCCRefundAccessCard.com, or stopping by Cashier’s Office to learn more today. Additionally, Higher One offers easy answers to your questions with Easy HelpSM–our self-service database containing answers to frequently asked questions.
How do I Opt Out of using the Higher One Card?
Use the How to Select ACH as your Refund Choice (.pdf)