Grand Rapids Community College offers high-quality English proficiency instruction, to residents in neighborhood sites that are accessible and familiar. English and Citizenship instruction are provided by GRCC, Word ESL and Literacy Center instructors.
The goal of the English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) program is to help individuals acquire English proficiency and continue to achieve their educational, employment and personal goals.
Classes are now held at the Leslie E. Tassell M-TEC, 622 Godfrey Ave. SW., in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Next ESL orientation:
Due to high demand, the ESL program has a waiting time of four-to-five semesters. Please call or stop by one of our locations to put your contact information in the waiting list. GRCC Adult Education will only call students in the waiting list for orientations.
Participant requirements for ESL Program:
- Must be 20 years of age.
- Must attend an orientation.
- Must take pre-tests and pay $5.00 non-refundable, assessment fee.
- Must score 181 – 235 on the CASAS Pre-test to be eligible in our program per state requirements.
- Must have a valid Michigan issued ID or Passport
- Must pay $25, non-refundable, registration fee per semester
Adult Education Calendar of Events 2015-2016:
- Winter semester starts February 6, 2016 and ends May 14, 2016
- Adult Education Achievement Celebration – May 26, 2016
Adult Education Calendar of Events 2016-2017:
- Summer enrollment: June 2016.
- Summer semester starts July 11th, 2016 and ends August 25th, 2016.
- Fall enrollment: August 2016
- Winter enrollment: December 2016