Main Navigation Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

If I want to participate in the Dual Enrollment/Early College program for more than one semester, do I have to reapply every semester?

No. Once you have been admitted into the Dual Enrollment/Early College Program, you can participate every semester until your high school graduation.

Can I apply online?

No. Dual Enrollment/Early college applications should be mailed, faxed, or hand delivered to:

Office of Admission:
Main Building, Room 123

Applications should be mailed to:
143 Bostwick Avenue NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Or Faxed to:
(616) 234-4107

Which tests or assessments are approved by the state of Michigan and what are the minimum qualifying scores?

The following tests are approved by the State of Michigan to qualify dual enrollment students: PSAT, PLAN, ACT, MME, EXPLORE, SAT and COMPASS.

The minimum qualifying scores are:


Reading: 1108

Writing: 1100

Mathematics: 1116

Science: 1126

Social Studies: 1129



Critical Thinking (Reading Content): 42

Writing Skills (Writing Content): 41

Mathematics: 44



Mathematics: 19

Reading: 15

Science: 20

English: 15



Reading: 15

Mathematics: 17

Science: 20

English: 13



Mathematics: 22

Reading: 21

Science: 24

English: 18



Critical Reading: 500

Writing: 500

Mathematics: 500



Reading: 88

English: 77

Mathematics: 52

How is tuition paid?

Most of the public schools pay for their students to attend GRCC through the Dual Enrollment/Early College Program. All home schooled students are responsible for their own tuition. Refer to GRCC Tuition and Fees link for current rates. Please be sure to discuss class selection with your high school counselor to avoid having to pay your own tuition. Tuition is based on the permanent residence of the student.

If tuition is not paid by the tuition due date, the student will be dropped from their classes, making those classes available to other students.

How many classes can I take?

All Dual Enrollment/Early College students are limited to taking two classes per semester. Labs are not counted as a separate class.

How will I know what classes to take?

GRCC does not provide academic advising to Dual Enrollment/Early College students.  It is your high school counselor's responsibility to discuss course options with you.  If you are a home schooled student, your parent/guardian will act as the high school counselor.  Students are encouraged to enroll in classes without prerequisites.  If you believe you have met a course prerequisite, you must go through the process of requesting a Prerequisite Waiver by submitting on online form.  For course descriptions, please see our Course Catalog

Can I take online courses?

Dual Enrollment students are not restricted from taking online courses. Students are still limited to two courses per semester.

How do I get college credit for taking AP courses at my high school?

Students must take the College Board AP exam and receive a satisfactory score to use a high school AP course as a prerequisite.  Copies of scores will not be accepted.  The scores must be sent to GRCC directly from the College Board and the student's request.  Additionally, the student will need to complete the Prerequisite Waiver process as discussed in section above. The GRCC College Board Code is #1254.

What steps do I take to attend GRCC after high school graduation?

You must complete a degree-seeking application - an additional application fee is not required. The application is available online, at your high school or at the Enrollment Center.

Can I take any class offered?

No. Dual Enrollment/Early College students are restricted from taking some classes. Please refer to the Restricted Classes page for more information

If you have any further questions or would like additional assistance, please contact the Admissions Office at (616) 234-3567 or email