ARTICLE I - NAME, PURPOSE
Section 1: The name of the team is the Strategic Leadership Team.
Section 2: The purpose of the Strategic Leadership Team (SLT) is designed to provide a forum that will enable a wide variety of college constituency groups the opportunity to provide input into the present and future direction of the College. This team will guide the development and on-going implementation of our strategic plan, review benchmarking data, study budget realities and offer recommendations to the President.
ARTICLE II - MEMBERSHIP
Section 1: The SLT will be broadly representative of the college community. Membership is tied to positions held at the college as well as representatives from a wide variety of current campus teams. Other members will be appointed by the President. Staff appointments by the President will be for 3-year terms. Student appointments will be for 1-year terms. (Initially, appointees will be randomly assigned to a 1, 2 or 3-year term to provide membership continuity by minimizing the number of members leaving the Team in any given year.)
ARTICLE III – LEADERSHIP
Section 1: The Officers of the Strategic Leadership Team will be included in an Executive Committee comprised as follows:
- The Dean of Institutional Research and Planning is appointed by the President to chair the Executive Council
- Five additional members from the Strategic Leadership Team will be selected by the members of the Team. Elected officers shall serve two-year terms with no term limit imposition. A minimum of two Executive Committee members must hold faculty positions. (Initially, two of the Executive Committee members will be selected for a 1-year term to provide membership continuity by minimizing the number of members leaving the Executive Committee in any given year.)
Section 2: Duties, responsibilities, and authority of the Executive Committee shall include the following:
- Preside at all meetings of the SLT
- Schedule meetings and prepare the agenda for all SLT meetings
- Appoint the Chairpersons of all standing and ad-hoc committees
- Serve as ex-officio members of any and all sub-Team committees
- Serve as a liaison between the Strategic Leadership Team and the President
- The Executive Committee will be responsible for keeping all records (including minutes and committee reports) available for review on a college website.
- Elected officers may be removed from office for dereliction of the duties outlined above. Those officers appointed by the President can be removed by the President at will. Those members elected require a majority vote of the SLT membership for removal.
ARTICLE IV – MEETINGS
Section 1: The Strategic Leadership Team shall meet in regular session a minimum of twice each semester
Section 2: Special Meetings. Special meetings may be called by the Chair or the Executive Committee.
Section 3: Notice. Notice of each meeting shall be given to each member, by e-mail, not less than seven days before the meeting.
ARTICLE V – COMMITTEES
Section 1: Committee chairs shall be appointed as described in Article 3, Section 2 of these bylaws.
Section 2: Each member of the Strategic Leadership Team shall serve on a minimum of one committee
Section 3: Committees of continuing importance shall be designated as standing committees
Section 4: Committees may, in addition to Strategic Leadership Team members, contain other GRCC faculty, staff or BOT members and/or students with special interest or expertise in the work of the Committee.
Section 5: Committees created for a specific purpose as of limited duration shall be designated as ad-hoc committees. The Strategic Leadership Team as a whole, or the Executive Committee, shall establish committees.
Each ad-hoc committee shall serve until its task is completed.
Section 6: Committees shall be responsible for gathering information and making recommendations to the Strategic Leadership Team. Committee members are required to archive all minutes of committee meetings, recommendations, and supporting data gathered prior to a formal presentation or recommendation.
ARTICLE VI – STANDING COMMITTEES
Section 1: Standing Committees of the Strategic Leadership Team shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Access End Committee
- Academic Alignment End Committee
- Student Success End Committee
- Workforce Development End Committee
- The GRCC Experience End Committee
- Community Outreach End Committee
Section 2: Each standing committee shall include a minimum of one staff support member from each of the following college departments: Technology, Facilities, Budget Office, Institutional Research and Planning. These staff support members may or may not be members of the Strategic Leadership Team
ARTICLE VII – ATTENDANCE
Section 1: Attendance at all Strategic Leadership Team meetings is vital to accomplish the purpose of the Team.
ARTICLE VIII – PROCESS FOR DECISION MAKING
Section 1: A majority vote of the SLT is required to move recommendations forward. In addition to in-person voting, members will be able to vote on recommendations using electronic voting processes.
Section 2: Once the SLT has reached a decision on an issue, the Executive Committee will prepare a recommendation for the President. The President will be responsible for responding in writing to the Executive Committee. The response must occur within twenty working days after receipt of the recommendation.
Section 3: At this point the President has two options:
- The President can concur with the recommendation and begin implementation.
- The President can send the recommendation back to the Strategic Leadership Team for re-evaluation. The re-evaluation process will require the Team to send the issue back to the Council along with the President’s concerns and questions to begin the process anew. The issue will then follow the normal procedures outlined in these Bylaws to reach the recommendation stage again. At that point, a majority vote of the SLT would be required to reach a decision.
ARTICLE IX – PARLIAMENTARY PROCEDURE AND MEETINGS
Meetings of the Strategic Leadership Team shall be conducted in accordance with the Democratic Rules of Order. Each member of the Team will be provided with a copy of the Democratic Rules. All other questions regarding procedures and meetings should be addressed to the Executive Committee for resolution.
ARTICLE IX - AMENDMENTS
Section 1: These Bylaws may be amended when necessary by a two-thirds majority of the SLT. Proposed amendments must be submitted to the Executive Committee.
These Bylaws were approved by the Strategic Leadership Team in October, 2010.